Recently, I saw BooksandLala‘s video of this book tag (which was posted in 2018, so yes, I am extremely behind on the times), and thought it looked interesting, so I checked out the original video by Keeping Tabs and decided I would give it a go. Now, obviously I’m not a booktuber, so you will have to take my word for it that the time I take to complete the challenge is accurate, but I think it will be fun! I’ll include my answers below, and at the end of the post reveal how long it took for me to find all of the books. Here we go!
1. Do you have a book with deckled edges?
This is the book that took me the longest to find, and I almost thought I didn’t have one until I looked at the very bottom shelf, where I found hidden away in the depths, The Merciless by Danielle Vega. If we ignored this question, my time would be five minutes, so please don’t judge me!
2. Do you have a book with three or more people on the cover?
Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames has a literal band of mercenaries on the cover!
3. Do you have a book based on another fictional story?
Heart’s Blood by Juliet Marillier is a Beauty and the Beast retelling, which I read last year and gave five stars.
4. Do you have a book with a title ten letters long?
Haven’t used maths like that since GCSEs, but we got one in the end – Stay with Me by Ayòbámi Adébáyò.
5. Do you have a book that starts and ends with the same letter?
Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft, which was featured in my Top Five TBR – Anticipated Fantasy Authors.
6. Do you have a mass market paperback book?
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, which I bought after reading and enjoying ‘Murder On the Orient Express’ back in 2018.
7. Do you have a book written by an author using a pen name?
I own three books by George Orwell, whose real name was Eric Arthur Blair, but for the purposes of this challenge, I picked out Animal Farm.
8. Do you have a book with a character’s name in the title?
I picked out a manga for this one, as manga quite often has character names in the titles. The first one I saw was Yona of the Dawn volume 1 by Mizuho Kusanagi.
9. Do you have a book with two maps in it?
The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan has two maps in it, and quite frankly, I’m disappointed that more of my books don’t, because maps are the best!
10. Do you have a book that was turned into a TV show?
You by Caroline Kepnes was turned into a TV show, although I’ve only seen the first episode so far – not sure what my thoughts are yet.
11. Do you have a book written by someone who is originally famous for something else?
It was always going to be Patti Smith for a question like this – I chose M Train, but she has many books out – and she is originally famous for being a singer, quite possibly my favourite one.
12. Do you have a book with a clock on the cover?
My Science Fiction Masterworks copy of The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells has a picture of Big Ben on the cover – do I get bonus points for it being a very famous clock?
13. Do you have a poetry book?
Despite not owning a lot of poetry books, I do have a couple and the one I picked out was Night Sky with Exit Wounds by Ocean Vuong.
14. Do you have a book with an award stamp on it?
My copy of Celestial Bodies by Jokha Alharthi has a Winner of the Man Booker International Prize 2019 stamp on it, which reminds me daily of how rubbish I am for not having read this book yet.
15. Do you have a book written by an author with the same initials as you?
I wasn’t expecting there to be one for this, but I do have a middle grade book called The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill, so I was saved.
16. Do you have a book of short stories?
I happen to have many books of short stories, because it is my favourite form, but I picked out Things We Lost in the Fire by by Mariana Enríquez for this challenge.
17. Do you have a book that is between 500 – 510 pages long?
After much frantic searching, I finally found The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter which just about makes the threshold.
18. Do you have a book that was turned into a movie?
I don’t know why I still have any Stephen King books on my to be read pile since I seem to hate everything I read by him, but I know Pet Semetary has been made into a movie, so I pulled it off the shelf.
19. Do you have a graphic novel?
I have a few graphic novels on my shelves, but I picked out Moonstruck volume 1 by Grace Ellis and Shae Beagle.
20. Do you have a book written by two or more authors?
For this I chose Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff – I don’t have any books by either author individually, but I do own this entire trilogy.
It took me eight minutes and fifty five seconds to find these twenty books, although as I mentioned above, it would have been much less had I not spent about seven years trying to find a book with deckled edges. I won’t tag anyone, because this is quite an old challenge, and technically meant for booktube, but if you do post your own, let me know so I can see how you did!